Wednesday 18 August 2010

1443 - Before the night begins

I’m sitting here in Ellie’s Bar, waiting
It doesn’t look like Chris is gonna come
I’ve recognised some faces entering
The door to this specially hired upstairs room
Poetry night is back - it’s starting soon
It’s also a night for acoustic stuff
Guitarists get their guitars out and tune
If I was singing tonight, I’d feel rough
Right now, but no - tonight the pressure’s off
That’s right - tonight it’s just poetry reading
Surely that’s the easiest thing to perform
Unless you’ve learned it all or it’s off-cuff
It’s so hard memorising, ad libbing
So I just read it from the page. Ho hum!

2 comments:

  1. Yes but you lack that adrenaline that makes it so exciting when you just read off the page. Although I read off the page too when I do poetry I prefer performing songs with no pages of lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes that's true Jude - reading off the page is not really performing - but altho I've tried, i really struggle memorising the words - with music it's still hard but slightly easier.

    ReplyDelete