Wednesday 25 August 2010

1451 - Cleared for take-off

No sleep last night that I can quite recall
And so in fact I’m knackered, cream crackered
I smoked and drank so much I thought I’d fall
Into a sleep too deep to be conquered
By my phone’s alarm. Needn’t have bothered
Setting it. Spent the night fretting I’d miss
That train to catch my plane home from abroad
Plus all the normal night disturbances
That shared dorms guarantee; late night pisses
Lights left on, locker doors crashed; all dreams stalled
On the runway, their take-off aborted
But more importantly, the main thing is
I didn’t miss my plane home, seeing all
Of South Yorkshire below, green and chequered

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're on the way home ... presumably you've landed by now, unless you sent this sonnet by blackberry ... and are still in a holding pattern

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jude - talking about blackberries, sort of, blueberries are good for anti-aging, supposedly. I don't like them but I might be able to tolerate them as blueberry jam, if such a thing exists!

    ReplyDelete