Friday 16 July 2010

Sonnet for Kate Bush

She cartwheels her way across the west York-
Shire moors as the wind howls and the rain falls
The quiet-voiced sparrow learns to fly and talk
In high-pitched notes she makes her mating calls
Answered by males from Wales to far Cornwall
She dances with them but then flies away
Into the air, really ethereal
Not grounded. Then, like Plath, one cloudy day
She finds herself doing his washing. They
Expected so much more. It goes round. Walk
Into the sea, dear Kate; walk among shoals
Like Virginia; the lighthouse in the bay
Will light your way. There’s one in County Cork
The USA’s too far to reach landfall

3 comments:

  1. Aha! Is this for me! Bush-tastic, thank you xxx I'm not sure about the phrase 'really ethereal' - made me chuckle. I think this is ace. Can you write a sonnet about me? Not that I'm self-obsessed of course x

    I know that bloody washing machine song what a total utter disappointment from Our Leader (Which is how I think of Kate)

    Apparently she is now working in a chippy somewhere in South Devon

    ReplyDelete
  2. May I post your Sonnet for Kate Bush on my page? xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jude - so sorry for the delay - been literally too busy to get online till now. Am now sharing computer time with my son as well,, who has moved in for a while!

    Really ethereal just sounds good for the repeat of 'real' - but I did think it was quite a Katey phrase!!

    Glad you knew the washing machine song - it was the one that stuck in my mind most from that Aeriel album (can't q remember how she spelled it)...

    Glad you liked it - yes, do post on your page if you'd like - thanks v much

    A sonnet about you, Jude - yes, of course - I could give it a go. I haven't got that much to go on yet but there is enough i guess to give it a go! The Jude Sonnets (A Series) no 1... xx

    ReplyDelete