Sunday 25 July 2010

1420 - Peeking at Peking

The Pekinese people they’re all quite small
Apart from the big ones with their big bones
For dogs look like their owners, bones and all
Although their wall’s quite big, you dig? The stones
Were being laid in Beijing. The first homes
And palaces: the Temple of Heaven
Is begun. With its being Beijing becomes
The big one in China, called the Northern
Capital (Nanjing was the Southern one)
The Forbidden City behind its wall
Hidden from mortal sight. Emperors alone
(And their cronies) crossed its portal and won
The right to stay there, rent-free, and with all
Worldly comforts (toilet paper and thrones)…

4 comments:

  1. peeking at you is always worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh your sonnets really are good, and playful ... I hope you will continue and it looks like you will!

    Of course you are always on dodgy PC ground with this kind of a poem. It reminds me of that Monty Python song, Eric Idle I think, 'I like Chinese'.

    May I introduce you to my friend's blog, she is called Helen McCookerybook, her blog is amazing and the inspiration for mine.

    http://mccookerybook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ta Jude - je l'appreciate, like. I will check out Helen's blog forthwith or even sooner!

    ReplyDelete