Sunday 11 July 2010

1406 - Football is dead... long live football

The South African World Cup tournament
Drew to a close tonight: the winners, Spain
Madrid is mad, rid of disappointment
Previous decades of broken hearts and pain
The black bull is free: this time it’s not lain
Down in the bloody sand. The Netherlands
On the other hand, maybe feel some shame
Despite reaching the final, for all fans
Of their 70s team; we clenched our hands
At their rough play today. But Spain were meant
To win, and their win’s surely football’s gain
So now a short break, followed by England’s
Premier League kick-off next month. I’m spent
For now with football. It’s cricket’s short reign…

2 comments:

  1. Here I am again - I hate football - I'm so glad the World Cup is over, I hope we never have another one ... it has made work miserable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Jude - thanks especially for commenting on that most incongruous and unwarranted thing of all - the football sonnet! I am fed up with it too - it's just as well it only happens every 4 years!

    ReplyDelete