Saturday 4 September 2010

1461 - La vie (et le mort) en rose

The year 1461 was bloody
Well, not the year itself, a mere concept
I mean thousands of blood-spattered bodies
Were found all round the fields, rivers and steps
Of late medieval England, as they stepped
Up the War of the Roses. All it was
Was a fight for predominance by top
Dogs and bitches, falling out, fighting wars
In which many poorer folk, for this cause
Ended up dead. Dick Neville (Warwick the
Kingmaker) supported York, and then crept
Over to Margaret’s Lancs side when Ed IV’s
Friendship was gone, and he restored Henry
The Sixth once more, but more war followed next

2 comments:

  1. I wrote a whole chapter of my PhD thesis about a film made about Jane Shore in the summer of 1914

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I must admit a lot of this is new to me - the depth of detail, I mean, beyond what i can actually fit into the sonnets that will make sense to people. It's frustrating how much there is to know and yet there is no time to go into it in the detail it'd be nice to... Maybe when retirement comes!!

    ReplyDelete