Saturday 10 October 2009

1132 - The real Madrid

Woke in the car at 8. Fuentespina -
Thanks for a quiet night!* I had time, so
I detoured to lovely Segovia
On the way to Madrid. That´s not all, though -
Sierra de Guadarrama! To go
There by car was a great experience
Those wooded mountains! Madrileños go
To walk the shaded hillsides. Didn´t sense
Any foreigners but me. For my sins
I now had to drive to the heart of the
Capital, Madrid. Skyscrapers, Prado...
Seen quite a lot already, by car. Pence
And pounds, i.e. parking costs, may mean a
Shorter stay than planned. Shame to have to go...!
*I slept in the car in a quiet side street - something I´ll have to do a few more times yet before this holiday is through. I was going to stay 2 nights in this hostel from where I´m typing this - the Pop Hostel, calle de Spiritu Santo, Malasaña, Madrid´s student quarter, but because it´s costing 28 euros to park for each 24 hour period, I can´t afford to park for two nights. Instead of 15 euros a night for accommodation, it´s more like 43 euros. I think I´ll stay in Madrid till quite late tomorrow, sightseeing, by car if possible, and then I may as well drive to Toledo in the evening, park somewhere and get some sleep. then I can spend all day there on Monday, which is the Spanish National Day. There might be some interesting celebrations to watch!

No comments:

Post a Comment