Thursday 8 October 2009

1130 - Tramping alone in Pamplona

At last - a good night´s sleep in the hired car
In the Camping Municipal, St-Jean
Although I didn´t dare to drive too far
Those Pyrenean winding roads were fun
But not for the cyclists or ´pelegrins´*
Of whom I saw a few as I drove by
After Valcarlos, the road just goes on
And on climbing, till Ibañeta, high
As it gets; then Roncesvalles; then my
Breakfast in Burguete; then Pamplona
Lunch from a supermarket, suburban
Peace and quiet. Reached the city; where shall I
Park? Under El Corte Inglés! Walked far
Today. My feet ache! Don´t ask me to run!
* Pelegrins is the French word for pilgrims. You see many of them walking from these parts on the Camino de Santiago, which takes them all the way to Santiago de Compostela, where I will be going later on in this holiday, but by car, of course - and after a number of detours!

No comments:

Post a Comment